Layers of Braddock’s History

Compiled by Jonathan Kline and Christine Brill

See the ruins gallery

Pre-Colonial

Territory rules by Queen Allequippa and the Delaware Tribe

1742

1st European settlement west of the Alleghenies by John Frazier and his family at Turtle Creek

1753-54

George Washington visits area

1755

Braddock’s Defeat on land of present day Braddock, North Braddock, and Rankin

1791

Purchase of 328 acres of land, called Braddock’s Field, by George Walla

1794

Whiskey Rebellion

1850

1st Braddock industrial facility opens, a barrel plant

1861

McVay-Walker Foundry built, the mother of Braddock’s steel industry

1873

Carnegie-McCandles & Co. organized what became the Edgar Thomson Steel Works

1887

Carnegie Library of Braddock established, the first Carnegie Library

1919

National Steelworker Strike

1924

Braddock direct road connection to the Lincoln Highway

1950-60

Apex of Braddock’s population and industrial/commercial activity. Population at +/- 20,000

1970s

Decline of the Steel Industry. Migration of population to other urban centers and to suburban Braddock/Pittsburgh

1990

Population of Braddock at 4,468

2000

Population of Braddock at 2,912

2001-2005

Braddock’s deterioration continues unabated

2006

The battle for Braddocc begins

Comments are closed.